Raw almonds are probably the tastiest and healthiest natural snacks of all the foods. Almonds are packed with the goodness of nutrients that help fight many diseases naturally. In this article we will have answered why eating almonds every day is good for your health and other benefits of these savory nuts.
1. Almonds are rich in Flavonoids that are nothing but natural antioxidants. Antioxidants are known to fight the free radicals present in the atmosphere and protect the plants and humans from various conditions including infections. A study has shown that almonds contain twenty different types of flavoinoids that are mainly spread on the skin of the almond rather than on the inside of the skin. Therefore, almonds provide you best immunity when eaten raw instead of eating roasted or soaked almonds.
2. Almonds contain high content of monosaturated fats. It is now known that fats occur in two varieties; good and bad. Monosaturated fats are considered good fats because they help lower the LDL cholesterol level in the bad unlike the bad fats found in foods like butter, cheese etc, that cause surge in cholesterol levels. Monosaturated fats are also known to reduce the chances of heart diseases including heart attacks. Olive oil is another example of ‘good’ monosaturated fat.
3. Almonds are a good source of Vitamin E which is also antioxidant in nature. The nuts also contain high amounts of Vitamin B2. So munching on almonds is beneficial for someone suffering from deficiency of vitamins in the body.
4. Eating almonds is known to bring about a consistency in blood sugar levels. In a recent experiment, participants were given almonds with potatoes which are a high glycemic food. This combination helped bring down the blood sugar levels and insulin in the participants. Diabetics and pre-diabetics can use advantage of this fact to keep their blood sugar in check. And since almonds are low in carbohydrates the diabetics will have no problem keeping fat under control.
5. Almonds are best used during a weight loss diet. A survey revealed that men and women who ate almonds regularly had no difficulty in managing their weight and kept a constant weight without fluctuating to the heavier side. Almonds are also healthy snacks to munch on when trying to lose weight. Apparently the fats present in almonds do not get absorbed by the body. So while you happily munch away to glory on almonds and fill your tummy, your body has not stored the fats from the almonds. This is good news since eating almonds will keep your hunger pangs in control. Eating almonds has also known to cut down the abdominal fat as well as cause decrease in waist size. The high levels of proteins and monosaturated fats present in the almonds keeps the tummy satisfied for long. Eat at least 20-30 almonds through the day to lose weight and cut down on the fat successfully.
6. Giving four almonds to a pregnant woman every day will help in the brain development of the unborn child. Almonds contain tryptophan that help build up the mental faculties of the fetus. They also have folic acid and vitamin B that help decrease the birth defects in children.
7. Almonds are good news for people who suffer from constipation. Soak a handful of almonds in water overnight. In the morning eat the almonds and drink the water. Almonds contain high fiber content and therefore help in proper mobilization of the bowels.
16. Oral intake of one tablespoon almond oil every day will increase your immunity level keeping infections at bay. It will also give you a clean and clear complexion making your skin glow from the outside.
Do not peel the skin of the almonds before consuming. The skin of the almonds has the maximum nutrition concentration and getting rid of the skin will render the almond useless. You can soak the almonds in water and have them without peeling the skin. But you must also drink the water because the nutrients present in the almonds often get dissolved in the water. So unless you drink the water in which almonds were soaked you will not get much health benefits from almonds. Almonds soaked in milk are also healthy as long as you drink the milk with it.Raw almonds are the best for consumption. However, some people also prefer them fried. Fried almonds will not help you lose weight or give you much nutrition. Fried almonds contain extra fat in the form of oil used for frying and the salt added to make the fried almonds tastier will only result in water retention in the body. Besides, almonds help lower cholesterol whereas salt only increases the level of cholesterol. So eat raw almonds for getting the maximum health benefits.